What happened in 1979 (the year I was born).
- The first fully functional space shuttle orbiter, Columbia, is delivered to the John F. Kennedy Space Center to be prepared for its first launch.
- Margaret Thatcher becomes the first woman Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
- The movie Alien opens in theaters.
- Muhammad Ali announces his retirement from boxing.
- The United States returns sovereignty of the Panama canal to Panama.
- The Pac-Man arcade game is released to the Japanese market by Namco.
- Rock band Pink Floyd release the mega-selling rock opera The Wall.
- The first European Ariane rocket is launched.
- Pluto moves inside Neptune’s orbit for the first time since either was known to science.
- The Sahara Desert experiences snow for 30 minutes.
- A nuclear power plant accident at Three Mile Island, Pennsylvania, releases radiation.
- The Federated States of Micronesia becomes self-governing.
- The first British nudist beach is established in Brighton.
- The world premiere for Star Trek: The Motion Picture is held at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.
So that’s a small summation of what happened in the year 1979.